Dental Emergency Overview
At Sana Dental in Edmonton, AB, we tell our patients that one of the best ways to handle any dental emergency is to know how best to avoid such situations. For example, creating some hard and fast rules for using your teeth can cut back on damage or the need for emergency dental care. As a trusted dentist in Edmonton, we tell patients to:
- Never use teeth as tools to open things
- Never play contact sports without a mouth guard
- To give up certain dietary habits like chewing ice, eating hard candies or overly sticky foods and other similar choices
Of course, there are many times when a dental emergency is outside of your control, and for those moments, we have the following dental emergency suggestions and options:
- Know an emergency dentist. Our office keeps space in the schedule to always allow for same-day treatment.
- Know what to do after hours. If your emergency is outside of normal business hours, know what to do to ensure the best outcome from the issue.
- If the emergency involves severe dental pain, such as an infection or decay, give the office a call and then use over the counter pain relief to reduce discomfort. Try not to use the tooth and apply a cold pack if swelling occurs. Never use heat.
- If the emergency involves a broken or chipped tooth, it can often be fixed. Again, call the office to see if we can see you that day. Treatment will range from a filling to a root canal.
- If your emergency is for a tooth that has been knocked out or loose, call the office. If it has been knocked out, before calling, try to return the tooth to its original location. Don’t force it. If it cannot be placed, put it in a glass of milk until you get treatment.
- If the emergency involves bleeding or damaged soft tissue, you will want to visit an emergency room as this can be signs of a very serious issue.
Of course, another rule is to never panic. Most issues can be amended, and it is always best to remain calm.
Contact Our Edmonton, AB Office to Learn About Dental Emergency Options
Are you worried about what to do in a dental emergency? If so, feel free to give us a call at our Edmonton, AB office at 1-780-476-3391. You can also use our online contact form and one of our staff will get back to you promptly.